Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1998 Jeep that won't start have power.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 1998 Jeep that won't start have power.

I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee that had a NSS problem before.
It would start the first thing in the morning. I'd drive it then to one location put it in park then turn the engine off. If I try to restart the jeep again, it won't start. It will power up, but the starter won't even come on. Fan runs, radio comes on, everything on the dash board comes on. This is when I got the idea to put a switch under my dash, run a wire from this switch to the cable connection junction of the NSS and short out the power and neutral gear wire. By doing this you bypass the NSS, but just make sure that the gear is in Park. So this has worked for me many times. Until now. At first I thought the switch became defective. Well, I've tried shorting the wires that runs to the NSS and still won't start the starter.

I've taken out the NSS, cleaned it, aligned it, and reinstalled it. It's still not starting. I've checked all the fuses and the relays in the fuse box inside the hood. Everything is intact. One thing I noticed is that whenever the I have someone to turn the ignition, it would click a couple of times near that junction box and when it's placed back to the off position, it would click again. Any idea what the problem is. I know it's electrical and it can't possibly be the starter since it's only a couple years old. Could it be the starter or the solenoid? Any ideas or help would be appreciated. I will try anything at this point.

Thanks,

Yukonman
Old 06-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Registered Users

Clicking is a common loose battery terminal and or corroded terminal. Hows the body ground wire. If you can rotate terminals by hand then thats your problem...
Old 06-24-2011, 10:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

There is such a thing as a new "bad" unit. Do not rule that out. That is what warranties are for. Have you tried, Key in RUN, and using a screwdriver to start power to the starter solenoid? Ign. switch failing.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:22 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Bad ignition switch...