Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1997 XJ Country, won't start without pushing gas.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1997 XJ Country, won't start without pushing gas.

Hello,
I drive a 1997 XJ Country 4WD, Automatic. So my main issue is when I try to start the car, it turns over but if I don't hold the gas all the way down, the car won't start, push and hold gas, after about 3 seconds the car starts, also the idling is all wrong, once it starts I hit about 3k rpm, note I immediately let off the gas once it starts and it takes about 3-5 seconds for the car to get down to 1500 RPms, also once I put it into gear the RPms drop below 500 the jeep sputters sounds like it wants to die then goes back. Also sometimes if I'm going over 25mph and let off the gas the car stays at 25mph until the break is applied.
On a side note, all my dash lights, like the ones on the gauge cluster and the a/c control area are out, inside abo e lights work but no dash, also my engine temp gauge is not working, these last two issues are minor and less important than the starting.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks
Old 08-24-2015, 07:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Try turning the key to the on position wait for 5-8 seconds then see if it starts right off.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Try turning the key to the on position wait for 5-8 seconds then see if it starts right off.
Thanks will try it.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Gtrsrlly
Thanks will try it.
The key trick didn't work
Old 08-25-2015, 11:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I have to do this to build fuel pressure with the electric pump up in the fuel rail. It seems to drain off overnight but fine during daily use starting.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 1999 4.0L

Originally Posted by Gtrsrlly
Hello,
I drive a 1997 XJ Country 4WD, Automatic. So my main issue is when I try to start the car, it turns over but if I don't hold the gas all the way down, the car won't start, push and hold gas, after about 3 seconds the car starts, also the idling is all wrong, once it starts I hit about 3k rpm, note I immediately let off the gas once it starts and it takes about 3-5 seconds for the car to get down to 1500 RPms, also once I put it into gear the RPms drop below 500 the jeep sputters sounds like it wants to die then goes back. Also sometimes if I'm going over 25mph and let off the gas the car stays at 25mph until the break is applied.
Sounds like your idle air controller is gummed up or broken. Look inside the throttle body and you will see an opening in the side of the intake, with a little electronic thing on the outside. That has a little pintle on a motor, the computer bumps the motor to move the pintle in and out to meter airflow. The pintle gets dirty / gummed up then you have to work the throttle body with your foot. You can take everything apart and clean it all up, or you can just go get another one and replace it.

Fred's idea of checking the fuel pressure is also good but with the slow return to idle it is almost certainly related to the IAC.

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I have to do this to build fuel pressure with the electric pump up in the fuel rail. It seems to drain off overnight but fine during daily use starting.
Check valve in the fuel pump is probably dying. Have to replace the pump