Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1996 Cherokee sensor/fuel/wiring

Old 09-08-2015, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1996 Cherokee sensor/fuel/wiring

Had to join this forum. Been having a weird problem with my 96 Cherokee and this was the place that helped the most. thank you

Now this does not mean I've fixed the problem but so many here have had similar problems I thought i'd share mine and when it's fixed I will follow up with a solution.

So to keep this short and easy I'll give you the chronology, noting it is a great vehicle, all original, 215,000 miles and never a repair problem. Until now...

1) wife drive it to work everyday over the past seven years.

2) wife heads out shopping two days ago, comes home saying the jeep is running rough.

3) I drive it, seemed like the O2 sensor always did the trick, picked one up and installed it. no change.

4) Check engine light comes on, I do the 3 key on key off, key on and it gives me a 11, 12 reading. I replace the CPS (which i did once before about 3 years ago) and ignore the 11 because I had disconnected the battery. no change.

5) Check vacuum lines, electrical connections, fuel pressure, air tested the emission canister and looked fine so i took a stab and changed out the throttle sensor. no change.

6) Did a tune up, new plugs, rotor and cap. no change.

Mind you it still fires up, quits sometimes and sometimes it idles.

7) When it does start and idles (fine), in 5-7 seconds it starts idling rough.

8) So this is what really got me. So it starts and idles fine, 5-7 seconds it gets rough so I kick on the AC and it smooths right out. However, whether it idles these few seconds fine, with the AC on or off, if I rev it at all it starts running rough.

So this is where i am at now. I have a mechanic coming to assist me tomorrow and I am sure his diagnostic will be more thorough than mine, but if any of you have any ideas I'd be grateful to hear your suggestions.

If this post is too late, then I will post the fix once we have got it figured out.

And we will. We love this jeep...