Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1994 Cherokee Wont start unless starter is jumped..

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1994 Cherokee Wont start unless starter is jumped..

Hey guys, nice forum ya got here!

I really wish my first post here wasn't asking for help but..

The other day I was replacing the running/right turnsignal bulb on my jeep. I was being dumb and in a hurry and had the jeep running with the lights on. When I went to pull the bulb out, being so old the damn glass part pulled out and left the metal part in the holder. I quickly ran and grabbed a pair of pliers and tried to pull ou the housing. While doing that (still running and lights on..) I touched one of the electrodes to the ground/metal case. It arked and I realized that I should probly shut it off. So I shut if off and went about my business and finished replacing the bulb. When I went to go start the jeep later then.. It wouldn't turn over! I turn the ignition to "on" everything comes on like normal but when I turn it to start, it doesn't do anything at all. Starter doesn't click/turn any thing. almost as if the starter is locked up.. I checked all the fuses and the only one that popped was the one for the running lights. Replaced that and still no go.

We tried jumping the connections on the starter and guess what?? It cranks over and starts up just fine. So we thought maybe the NSS (neutral safety switch) Fried. After thinking about it more though, if that had actually fried then the reverse lights wouldn't come on if you have the key on and put the gear selector into reverse- Am I right here? as soon as it gets close to reverse the reverse lights come on just fine. Unlike when the switch is going out, you have to fool around some times to get it to work..

I can't find any blown fuses and I've been screwing with this thing for the last 2 days and just can't figure it out.

Any input on what may be causing this problem guys?

Sorry for the book of a post so....

FOOT NOTES:

Changing running light bulb.

Used pliers, caused positve/ground wires in the bulb to touch

Motor wont crank now with the key

Reverse lights come on the second the gear selector is put into reverse

WILL START IF I JUMP THE STARTER CONNECTIONS DIRECTLY ON THE STARTER NO PROBLEM

Again, Thanks for any help you guys can give!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Take a good look at the Ign. switch!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

does the starter solenoid click? if not try tapping it with the handle end of a screwdriver while someone else turns the key if it cranks the solenoid is bad
Old 01-09-2010, 07:37 PM

I would try testing your Ignition Switch first.

To do this; turn your Heater Fan "on" and then turn your Ignition Switch to "start", as if to start it. The Fan should turn off when your vehicle tries to crank. If it does not, that would mean you have a bad Ignition Switch.

You could have a bad Starter Relay... you could swap it out with the A/C Relay to see what happens?

Honestly it Sounds like your NSS is acting up. I don't know of any other ways to check the NSS, except the "turn, push and jiggle" trick.

IMO- It doesn't seem like a Starter/Solenoid problem. If all of the above suggestions fail, you would need to test your Starter. You'd have to take it out and have it tested, as i'm sure that you already know.

Hope that these suggestions help.

Last edited by guest02; 01-09-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

After reading the post several times I would think the ignition switch is the culprit. NSS seems fine and you may try the neutral position when it won't start to see but I doubt it is your problem.
You know that your ignition switch is not where the key goes in but at the base of your column in a small box.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1987
Engine: 4cyl

Have you checked all the fuses and relays under the hood?
Old 10-20-2014, 10:36 AM

I'm having the same issue with my 1994 xj 2.5L 4banger.. Starter jumps, engine cranks, accessories and fuel pump turn on. No crank. I have no nss on the standard and the switch it has on there seems fine.. Oh I'm horrible with wiring. I'll keep up with this post and let ya know...
Old 10-22-2014, 07:45 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Please check your fuses first.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

t.clark, This is an old thread. You might want to start a new one since you don't mention jumping the starter in your post unless that's what you mean by "starter jumps".

What do you mean by "starter jumps, engine cranks, fuel pump turns on, no crank"?

Fuel pump should prime before initial engine crank. Anyway some clarification might help.