Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1994 Cherokee Problem - Electrical?

Old 12-27-2010, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1994 Cherokee Problem - Electrical?

(Re-Post) Hi all. I am having a problem with my 1994 Jeep. Over the past month, there has been a whining noise under the hood. I believe it is something that is run by the belt. After a few minutes (in the cold), the whining stops. So, I thought nothing of it. I have traveled from CO to Chicago twice without an issue. Today, temps lower 20's plus snow, the Jeep started, the whining started, then the engine died outright. The battery is strong. It turns over, but does not kick in. I pumped the gas and I can smell gas under the hood, but it won't start. I have less than a 1/4 tank. I thought, at first, it was a frozen gas line. It still can be. But, when it died it stopped without sputtering. I believe it to be electrical, but I am unsure. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 12-27-2010, 06:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

dont ever pump the pedal on fuel injected vechicles
Old 12-27-2010, 06:15 PM
CF Veteran

it might be flooded now let it sit then try to start with out touching the gas pedal
Old 12-27-2010, 06:38 PM

I never pump really. It started, cold, ran for 2 min. stopped dead. Battery is good, turns over, then nothing. I do not believe it is still flooded. I think it is a sensor. But which one? My ex had a "map" sensor on her old 1987 LaBaron which, when replaced, fixed the no-start problem. I am new to this Jeep. 140K miles. I drove it for about 12,000 with only one problem. I replaced the throttle position sensor recently (2-weeks). During the tune-up, the distributor cap, wires & plugs were all replaced. Is there another sensor I should replace @ 140K miles? I have never done a diagnositic. I dont own the right equipment to do it. The weather in Chicago is colder than in CO which is where I usually drive my Jeep. Colder and wetter. Any thoughts?? Thanks!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

have you checked it for codes, have you ever run it this low on fuel before maybe gauge is wrong?out of gas
Old 12-27-2010, 07:03 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

You said you smelled fuel did you check to see if you could locate a fuel leak? I would fill the tank up and rule that one out, as in the previous post, check for any codes, if one of your sensors are bad, the code will help you isolate which one, to check the codes turn the ignition on and of 3 times, on the third time leave the ignition on and look at the check engine light, it will blink, example, 5 blinks pause 5 blinks =55 which means end of test

Last edited by CJ7365; 12-27-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:54 PM

I am low on gas. Have had less gas in the tank in the past. I do not have a "Check Engine" light that stays on. No gas leak. The smell of gas came from me pumping the gas pedal. No apparent leaks. I am wondering if it is the gas filter. I have not checked for codes. I don't own the right equipment. I checked the fuse box for a bad fuel pump fuse. It seems to be okay. Any other suggestions. I'm getting a little cabin fever in snowy Chicago. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:28 AM

Question Still having Problems

A friend came over last night to help with my '94 Jeep. We checked the spark from the coil to the distributor - it's good. The fuel pump is pumping gas. Although the carborator needs cleaning, we could not get the engine to "catch" when spraying carb cleaner. There doesn't seem to be any codes flashing. So, I'm thinking it is either a sensor or vacuum issue. Any ideas????
Old 12-30-2010, 08:49 AM

Year: 1997

Did you pull a plug wire and check for spark? Also if you hold the gas pedal to the floor while cranking it actually cuts fuel to the injectors, this could clear any flooding(unlikely). If your not getting spark start by checking the easy stuff, cap/rotor condition, wiring to the coil. Frozen gas line shouldn't be an issue since the line is under pressure. The "dirty carb" your referring to is a dirty throttle body, probably not your issue here. For the heck of it you can take the belt off and try cranking it, if a belt driven accessory is seized it might not be letting it crank over fast enough.

Last edited by shook0002; 12-30-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:11 PM

Year: 1994

Originally Posted by PJAllan
I am low on gas. Have had less gas in the tank in the past. I do not have a "Check Engine" light that stays on. No gas leak. The smell of gas came from me pumping the gas pedal. No apparent leaks. I am wondering if it is the gas filter. I have not checked for codes. I don't own the right equipment. I checked the fuse box for a bad fuel pump fuse. It seems to be okay. Any other suggestions. I'm getting a little cabin fever in snowy Chicago. Thanks.
I told you how to pull codes, you have 94, you do NOT need a code reader.

94 do NOT have carberators, they are fuel injected

How do you know you have the right Fuel Pressure, it needs to be between 35 and 40 LBS, just because you have fuel on the rail, does NOT mean your fuel pump is working correctly

The fuel presure check will tell you if you have a clogged fuel filter

If you do NOT do what people are advising you to do, then why bother posting your problem
Old 12-30-2010, 05:13 PM
CF Veteran

checking codes on your year does not require special testing equp key on key off key on key off key on count the flashes its that simple
Old 12-31-2010, 08:54 AM

My mistake for not communicating better. I did try to pull codes from the Check Engine light and there are no codes. I plan on checking the psi on the fuel pump today. It CKP sensor was tested with a DMM and did not seen to be the problem. Although, I plan on replacing it today. Besides the untested fuel pressure and the replaced CKP, I am running out of things to check/replace. I have listened and acted on everyone's suggestions. Thank you all. Are there any other things I can try?

One last thing I just thought of. Last week, we had a huge snow fall. Although I do not think it has anything to do with this starting problem, I did run my Jeep in 4W high at speeds over 50mph. Would this cause any problems?

Thanks.