Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo slow starting,gauge lights not working,engine sputter,etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo slow starting,gauge lights not working,engine sputter,etc.

I've got a few questions about some issues i'm having with my:
1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 6 cylinder (automatic) 4.0 engine

Sometimes when I go to start the jeep, it starves for power, slowing down just a little or ALOT and then eventually speeding up and turning over.
What could this be?
I've had the battery, starter. alternator tested and they test out okay by autozone and o'reillys, also walmart tested the battery and it tests great.
I've taken the Starter off the vehicle and inspected it for damage, the teeth are in working condition, no wear and tear. Also, had the starter tested off of the vehicle, and it still tests out great.
It was suggested to me, to check all the wires and grounds, but I'm not familiar with what wires to check and how to check them and be a good judge. I know more about mechanical, not so much electrical.
The battery is only like 6 months old.
It also sputters when it gets up to 50-60mph, as if it's not getting proper fuel or misfiring in the spark plug system possibly? Not sure at all on this one.
Any suggestions? Any previous smiliar experiences?

One more thing,
my gauge lights do not work, as well as the light to illuminate my A/C controls, the light to illuminate my 4wheel drive controls, and the light to illuminate my gears.
Now this all stopped working after I took the steering wheel off to replace the ignition switch and ever since then I havent been able to get them to come back on. would this have any relation? I've replaced the switch that turns on your head lights and domes, and all of that. There were some wires broken near the turn signal lever so I sautered them back together and nothing changed. I just have no idea what to do with these lights that aren't illuminating. And of course I've checked all fuses under the dash and under the hood.
Is there any light that someone could shed?