Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1985 cherokee 2.5l 4cyl stalling then run then stalling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1985
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L 4 CYL CARB.
Default 1985 cherokee 2.5l 4cyl stalling then run then stalling.

Hi names james and had a problem, i just got a 1985 jeep cherokee 2.5l 4cyl believe to be carberated.
Well starts runs rough and idles low replaced the sparks plugs cap and rotor but when i go to drive it will run fine until 30 seconds later around 35 mph. It will start to seem like it is flooding and bog down and die then hitting the gas alot to bring it back to idle it will sometimes and run fine again but then will bog down and die then start again.
Seems like could be the carberator or fuel filter or pump not sure kinda stumped .......... Please any help would be great.....
Old 08-23-2010, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by bigjamez21
Hi names james and had a problem, i just got a 1985 jeep cherokee 2.5l 4cyl believe to be carberated.
Well starts runs rough and idles low replaced the sparks plugs cap and rotor but when i go to drive it will run fine until 30 seconds later around 35 mph. It will start to seem like it is flooding and bog down and die then hitting the gas alot to bring it back to idle it will sometimes and run fine again but then will bog down and die then start again.
Seems like could be the carberator or fuel filter or pump not sure kinda stumped .......... Please any help would be great.....

lol i just fixed this prob on mine and i thought the same thing but it turned out that the p.o. over torqued a spark plug and cracked the ceramic on the plug ... i went through EVERYTHING and kept over looking the plugs the when i got to the compression test i noticed the plug so i ran to the parts store (1.2 miles away) to get new plugs the ran home put them in and she fired right up and ran smooth as a babys *** so make sure your plugs arent cracked and imho you shoud replace the plugs again and make sure that you are not over torquing the plugs remember finger tight +1/4 turn <my rule ..dont know if its right but its always worked for me