Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

01 XJ Sport - P0704 - Fried Transmission or Solenoids?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 01 XJ Sport - P0704 - Fried Transmission or Solenoids?

I think I know the answer, but I want some input.

Bought this XJ for $900. Been putting miles on it, and I'd get the rumble strip vibration that I read was the torque converter and slight grinding noise that would come and go (thought it was a bearing or ujoint). After a while that stopped. Then it'd start hesitating going into gear from parked. Had to pump the gas and give it a couple seconds to take off.

Its been running fine like that, but yesterday morning on my way to work, while climbing a hill, it gradually started losing power, until it stopped completely. No loud bangs or clanging metal. No change in the motor. Its like it just shifted into neutral and stopped.

I get towed home and a few hours later, I go to move it and it's driving fine.. until it warms up. Then it goes right back into "neutral mode".

I added some fluid, and got the same result. I drained some and added more and it ran a little longer before going out again. The fluid is very very dark but doesnt necessarily smell burnt. After I added fluid and drove some, I started to hear some whirring noise from the pan while it was in neutral. It stopped when it went into gear. It is like this in all gears, 2wd and 4wd. Its like its stuck in neutral. And that's the condition it's in right now.

I ordered a cheap solenoid service kit from ebay. Right now I'm thinking of changing all the fluid, changing the filter, replacing the solenoids and hoping for the best.

I suppose the alternative is a junkyard transmission.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had similar problems or what they think the solution would be. I'm kind of new to this, and I've searched and read a lot but can't really seem to get a clear answer. Everyone either also had symptoms I didn't, or I have ones that they didn't.

any input would be much appreciated.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Drain and refill as planned. If the transmissioin fluid is that dark, the transfer case probably needs a little love as well. Remove the fill plug first because if you start with the drain plug and the fill plug wont budge, youre not going anywhere. Check all fluids while you are at it.

Make your Jeep happy again.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:42 PM

Default Thank you

Thanks for the advice and support. I'm gonna do a preliminary fluid change tomorrow to check the filter and pan for metal.

Would it be wise to view this optimistically, and assume a fluid change and maybe swapped solenoids will bring her back to life?
Old 02-22-2017, 04:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Ensure the fluid level is "Full - HOT" and adjust the TV cable.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:38 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

got my 2000 in oct ,did all fluids, and did the tranny drain/fill 3 times in three months. cant be clean enuf i figger!
Old 02-22-2017, 05:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Do this cold fluid check. If the fluid fails to go down to the bottom of the stick there's a chance your torque converter is toast.

Name:  rev1Visio-Drawing1.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  475.9 KB
Old 02-22-2017, 06:07 PM

What is the TV cable actually called? I'll take a look at it in the manual tomorrow while I'm doing stuff.

I got a new filter today just to do the fluid change tomorrow so I'll look around then.

The cold fluid test - so basically check the fluid cold, before starting, and it should read MAX. Then start the jeep and immediately check it again, and it should read ADD, correct?
And if it reads differently, it may be the torque converter?

Thanks for the help so far guys.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:49 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Iamj6g

The cold fluid test - so basically check the fluid cold, before starting, and it should read MAX. Then start the jeep and immediately check it again, and it should read ADD, correct?
And if it reads differently, it may be the torque converter?

Thanks for the help so far guys.

If the Torque Converter is mechanically intact and functioning properly it drives the transmission oil pump. When the transmission has not been operating and the ATF fluid is cold, the oil pan will fill up. When the engine is started the transmission oil pump will pull the pan fluid up and pump it through the transmission. This will cause the fluid level on the dipstick to drop to near the bottom. If the fluid does not drop, the Torque Converter is not driving the transmission oil pump effectively, or not at all.

If the Torque Converter is making noises and the Jeep does not move this test is a good indicator of a failed Torque Converter.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by CCKen
If the Torque Converter is mechanically intact and functioning properly it drives the transmission oil pump. When the transmission has not been operating and the ATF fluid is cold, the oil pan will fill up. When the engine is started the transmission oil pump will pull the pan fluid up and pump it through the transmission. This will cause the fluid level on the dipstick to drop to near the bottom. If the fluid does not drop, the Torque Converter is not driving the transmission oil pump effectively, or not at all.

If the Torque Converter is making noises and the Jeep does not move this test is a good indicator of a failed Torque Converter.
Right on. I worded my response strangely but I understand what you're saying.

So I just went out and performed that test.. right off my transmission fluid is high, but there was definitely a drop in the level between between running and not running cold.

Also... I took it for a spin around the parking lot, and it's driving just like normal. Has power and is moving through all the gears.

Should I be optimistic about these solenoids and a fluid/filter change?
Old 02-23-2017, 02:48 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Iamj6g
Right on. I worded my response strangely but I understand what you're saying.

So I just went out and performed that test.. right off my transmission fluid is high, but there was definitely a drop in the level between between running and not running cold.

Also... I took it for a spin around the parking lot, and it's driving just like normal. Has power and is moving through all the gears.

Should I be optimistic about these solenoids and a fluid/filter change?

Run it to destruction, then replace parts. :-)
Old 02-23-2017, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
Run it to destruction, then replace parts. :-)
Haha I already have a bad habit of doing that. That's how I found myself in this spot.

The only problem is that it has power and is running now, but once it warms up, it seems to shift back into neutral until it cools down.

That's why I'm hoping the fluid/filter change and possibility the solenoid swap (if they test bad) will fix things.