CF Suggestions & Questions All site related suggestions, questions, and problems should be discussed here. (This sub-forum is not for Cherokee-related questions - those go above!).

Supporting memberships

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 92
Model: Cherokee
Engine: worn out
Default Supporting memberships

I am interested in signing up, but I am curious what this money is used for? Will you be making a land use donation or other charitable donation with it? Or will it all be used up for hosting fees?
Old 09-30-2008, 09:17 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

currently there are no supporting memberships available...The new owners haven't decided if they will provide them or not and if they do no decision has been made on what to do with the proceeds.. So when and if they become available there will be an announcement about it
Old 05-20-2009, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8

So where is all this money you are collecting from the google ads and memberships going? I am assuming it is only lining the pockets of the owners......
Old 05-20-2009, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by The Downward Spiral
So where is all this money you are collecting from the google ads and memberships going? I am assuming it is only lining the pockets of the owners......
I'm guessing it helps keep the forum free to all users
and so what if they make a profit we still get the benefit of using the forum for FREE!!!!!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by mike37
I'm guessing it helps keep the forum free to all users
and so what if they make a profit we still get the benefit of using the forum for FREE!!!!!
What about supporting members? Are they using it for free?
Old 05-20-2009, 11:00 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by gaibertard
read post #2

usually a supporting member get a little more privileges

if this place is such a rip off stop being a member that will show them
advertising on forums usually go by how many members and what the average post count is per day
so if you stop posting or better yet cancel your membership you will show them
Old 05-21-2009, 01:37 AM

read post #2

usually a supporting member get a little more privileges

if this place is such a rip off stop being a member that will show them
advertising on forums usually go by how many members and what the average post count is per day
so if you stop posting or better yet cancel your membership you will show them
You are missing the point completely. Not surprising either.....
Old 05-21-2009, 08:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally the owners were not in favor of having supporting memberships, but many of the members requested that we have it, so we put the memberships in place. There are certain priveleges to becoming a supporting member (no ads are shown to you, access to a particular sub-forum, etc...). You can see the info here:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/payments.php
Old 05-21-2009, 08:59 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0 I6

Nope supporting members are not using the site for free. They pay an annual fee to allow them to use the site without ads. They also get a few other perks that is outlined in the link JonF provided.

Also watch the tone he was simply trying to explain what a supporting member is and gets. There is no need to get derogatory towards other members. Starting crap will end in one outcome and that's loss of the privilege to use this site.

Again if you don't want to be a supporting member you don't have to. If you don't like the ads then you don't have to use the site. Remember use of this site is a privilege not a god given right. So be respectful of the members and the community as a whole and enjoy your privilege that has allowed you to use this site..
Old 05-21-2009, 11:52 AM
CF Veteran

you are so clueless
it is you that's missing the point you must have a sad life

I will say it again if this place is so bad stop being a member
start your own Cherokee forum and run it exactly how you want it
Old 05-21-2009, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
Nope supporting members are not using the site for free. They pay an annual fee to allow them to use the site without ads. They also get a few other perks that is outlined in the link JonF provided.

Also watch the tone he was simply trying to explain what a supporting member is and gets. There is no need to get derogatory towards other members. Starting crap will end in one outcome and that's loss of the privilege to use this site.

Again if you don't want to be a supporting member you don't have to. If you don't like the ads then you don't have to use the site. Remember use of this site is a privilege not a god given right. So be respectful of the members and the community as a whole and enjoy your privilege that has allowed you to use this site..
you are so clueless
it is you that's missing the point you must have a sad life

I will say it again if this place is so bad stop being a member
start your own Cherokee forum and run it exactly how you want it

Hahaha, let me post this again...

Maybe you all should take a big step back. Oh wait, you might fall off that pedestal you have placed yourselves on.....

Let me explain myself. I'll put it a heart felt and sincere tone so as not to wad any panties further than they are.

This isn't about what privileges I may or may not have.

This isn't about whether or not I like this website.

This isn't about the users who comes here to give or get information about their Jeeps. The users themselves are who make the website what is is.

What my question is:

Is there any plan to donate some of the proceeds from this website to any land use type organizations. Blue Ribbon Coalition, the Rubicon Trail Foundation, or donations of any kind in support of possible trail closures? Very simple question.

I understand that web hosting and the forum software costs money. I understand that the current owners of the website had to pay to buy this website. They are entitled to do whatever they want with the money they make from it. First and foremost is to recoup the cost of buying this forum. OK, so what happens after it is paid off? Will Cherokee Forum ever become more than just another commercial website where the only purpose is to turn a profit?

Now I am not asking how much anyone paid to buy Cherokee Forum, and I am not asking how much money is made from the memberships or the ads. Whatever, that isn't anyone's business other than the guys who are paying the hosting bill every month.

I would like to know if there are any plans to support our hobby to ensure we have somewhere to actually use our Jeeps at (other than the mall parking lot)? Are there plans for the members of this forum to join together to help keep our sport alive?

Simple now isn't it?

If there is a plan in place I would like to help support your efforts.

If there is never any intention of donating a single dime to anyone, then I won't be contributing.

OK, now back to your regularly scheduled overreaction and condescending attitude toward me and my posts.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: inline 6 4.0L

haha its been fun reading this. ^^ now thats a burn
Now to answer your Question: AFAIK no. but I don't know a lot about the workings of this site.

Last edited by mycherokee1989; 05-22-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

From what I know about a few other Jeep and off-road forums is that they do donate some money to things like keeping the rubicon trail open, and other things that benefit people that use them and other things. Just because they don't outright say "this money goes to this and that blah blah blah does not mean that it doesnt go to any of that or elsewhere.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

Originally Posted by Metmknice
. Just because they don't outright say "this money goes to this and that blah blah blah does not mean that it doesnt go to any of that or elsewhere.

That is why he is asking...... He is not asking for their business plan.. just whether they really support the off-road community and are putting their money where their proverbial mouths are.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

The original question could have been asked in a PM to an Administrator if it was important in helping you make a decision on whether or not you wanted to become a paid member. Publicly asking what the site owners, or members, do with their money isn't appropriate in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Supporting memberships