Trail Reports Show off pictures of your recent wheeling events.

Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 11:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Rubicon

Gents I will be in Tahoe at the end of August and want to run part of the Rubicon. I will be up there solo and am not dumb enough to try and run the hole thing on my own. Are there some sections I can run safely solo? Any advice would be great.

Jeep
99 XJ
35" BFG KM2s on 4-5" lift
D30 hp w/ truss, 4.56 gears, detroit true track
Chry 8.25 w/ 4.56 gears, locker, alloy shaves
JCR rent bumper, rock rails and t-case skid

Old 08-11-2015, 07:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0
Default The Rubicon?

Found some stuff to read about the trail, from what I am reading it looks you might need more than a shovel! A Highlift Farm Jack might be the best friend to have along so that you can lift it and push it off stuff. You might find more info on these links

"Rocker protection and bumpers are absolutely necessary, as there will be a lot of dragging. I ran it in a YJ with tall gears, 33s and rear locker and it did ok, without trying optional obstacles. Just make sure all the vital parts are protected underneath and you'll be fine. Spare drive shaft is nice to have as well."

"X2...I havent ever done it in a stocker, only trailer queens, but everything he said is very true...Ground clearence is huge there....your gonna get body damage to, so just expect it in a big rig like that...There will be section like walker hill that you will need to put your foot to the floor, so just be ready....EXPECT Damage...you will drag diffs and crush panels..."

http://www.reno4x4.com/showthread.php/6256-Running-the-Rubicon

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/29-rubicon-trail/
Old 08-12-2015, 11:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Found some stuff to read about the trail, from what I am reading it looks you might need more than a shovel! A Highlift Farm Jack might be the best friend to have along so that you can lift it and push it off stuff. You might find more info on these links

"Rocker protection and bumpers are absolutely necessary, as there will be a lot of dragging. I ran it in a YJ with tall gears, 33s and rear locker and it did ok, without trying optional obstacles. Just make sure all the vital parts are protected underneath and you'll be fine. Spare drive shaft is nice to have as well."

"X2...I havent ever done it in a stocker, only trailer queens, but everything he said is very true...Ground clearence is huge there....your gonna get body damage to, so just expect it in a big rig like that...There will be section like walker hill that you will need to put your foot to the floor, so just be ready....EXPECT Damage...you will drag diffs and crush panels..."

http://www.reno4x4.com/showthread.php/6256-Running-the-Rubicon

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/29-rubicon-trail/
Thanks for the info man!
Old 08-13-2015, 01:49 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992

You must take me with you. Stop in Tucson az and pick me up. Lol
Old 08-13-2015, 07:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Default Absolutely Welcome!

Originally Posted by thebe001
Thanks for the info man!

You are absolutely welcome! Your question sparked my curiosity so I had to go check it out! I have a good friend who lives over by Walker Lake, so I was curious if it was something we might want to go play with the next time I go visit. Looks like my stock rig isn't ready for something like that yet